Projects


First time on my blog? Go ahead and check out the Projects section on the right in the sidebar. From there you can choose which project to view. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Screen Color Emitter

Here is an idea. It comes from a brand of televisions, I don't remember what it is, but I saw one years ago.  What it would do it get the average color of the screen, and emit that color through some lights behind the screen, lighting up the wall/room that is behind the TV.  I have no clue if this worked, or is even worse then without it, but I think it is a cool idea.

So I am going to try that of course!

I found a sweet RegionGetColor function for Autohotkey, that runs very fast and comes out with a very accurate color.  I then modified my Autohotkey code to send the color I get from that function to the Arduino.  The rest of it I had set up already.  So in theory, now I have it set up, so all of the LEDs on the chain will be the average color of the screen.

I have no clue if this will look good, or just be annoying, but I am excited to see what it does.

A couple other ideas I have with interaction with the LED chain:

  • In a First Person Shooter game, everytime I click to shoot, the LEDs flash white
  • With music playing, do one of those cool color visualizers on the LEDs
  • Show how much my CPU is being used, by simulating a bar on the LEDs
Many cool things could be done with this!

1 comment:

  1. Here is a kickstarter projects that has a similar idea:

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woodenshark/lightpack-ambient-backlight-for-your-displays

    ReplyDelete